Removing a GU10 Bulb

Monday, 8 October 2012 15:45 by ranjanbanerji

How many men, engineers, women, etc does it take to replace a light bulb?  I have heard these jokes a billion times but recently learned that perhaps there is some substance to these jokes.  About 6 months ago I purchased a track light from Home Depot.  It takes 4 GU10 halogen bulbs that fit snuggly into the lamp holder.  Yesterday one of the bulbs burned out.  A bit too fast if you ask me but anyway that’s not what this post is about.  So I tried to get the bulb out but realized that I could not get a good grip on it and that no matter what I tried the bulb would just not move.

Now this is a bit of a problem if you have just one fixture that uses this bulb type.  Because you will most likely never remember how to put or more importantly how to remove a bulb of this type.  So now I have a bulb that fits snuggly into its holder flush with its opening so you cannot grip it and I have no idea whether this screws in, has pins, and how is it to be removed.

Well removing a GU10 requires pushing it in a bit and then turning it counter clockwise.  You can see the pins of a GU10 in the picture below.

GU10-1

The GU10 socket looks like this:

GU10-2

So to get the bulb out I used one of those transparent rubber suction/vacuum cups you use to attach a hook to glass or some other smooth surface.  It doesn't have to stick to the bulb.  You just need to press it to the front of the bulb till you feel the bulb move back a bit then you gently twist the suction cup counter clockwise.  The rubber cup grips the glass quite well and you should be able to twist counter clockwise and easily remove the bulb.

Tags:
Categories:   General
Actions:   E-mail | Permalink | Comments (5) | Comment RSSRSS comment feed

Comments

December 12. 2012 01:16

Video Projectors Replacement Lamps

Thanks for this useful post...

Video Projectors Replacement Lamps

January 17. 2016 20:38

Diana

Hey Ranjanbanerji

I ha-ve spent about 4 hours at the top of a ladder over the last week,trying to remove two burnt out FU10s. The light socket and the bulbs are deceptively simple-looking, but with no moving parts and counter-intuitive logic, I was totally flummoxed.  Other instructive sites are not much help either with mind+-reading required language or unclesr whether it was about GU10 or general ideas. Your lit is as clear as if you were talking to me face-to-face.  Most helpful. Thanks much!

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2016!

Diana in Vancouver.

Diana

February 9. 2016 10:57

pingback

Pingback from maxi.vision

How to Change a Gu10 Halogen Light Bulb | My Blog

maxi.vision

February 19. 2016 13:01

Bil

I had the same problem with the bulb recessed.
I used a piece if Duct Tape folded over a small bolt for grip and then stuck it to the bulb....worked like a hot dam!

Bil

September 21. 2016 22:10

pingback

Pingback from tena12.eastarwar.xyz

How To Remove Gu-10 Bulbs | Information

tena12.eastarwar.xyz

(Will show your Gravatar icon)

Country flag